Virus definition, or DAT, files contain up-to-date virus signatures and other information that our anti-virus products use to protect your computer against thousands of computer viruses and other potentially harmful software in circulation.
Hundreds of new threats appear each month. Every week, we release new DAT files. We also release new DAT files when any threat is assessed by AVERT to have a medium or higher risk.
To ensure that your anti-virus software can protect your system or network against the latest threats, you must download and install the latest DAT files. For their location, see “CONTACTING MCAFEE SECURITY & NETWORK ASSOCIATES”.
USING THE DAT PACKAGE INSTALLER (XDAT FILE)
1. Create a temporary directory on your hard disk.
2. Download the XDAT file to the temporary directory from our web site. For the location, see “Contacting McAfee Security & Network Associates”.
3. Double-click the XDAT file to start the update.
4. Follow the instructions in the wizard panels.
The installer then does the following:
- Unloads McAfee memory-resident software or stops services that use your current DAT files.
- Copies new DAT files to the appropriate program directories.
- Restarts the software components needed to continue scans with your new DAT files.
5. When the installer has finished updating your DAT files, you may delete the file you downloaded, unless you want to keep a copy available for further updates.
When you have finished using the compressed DAT file, you may delete it from your hard disk, unless you want to keep a copy for further updates.
Category: Main Segmen