How to Disable Autorun or Autoplay on Your Windows 7 OS. For those of you who do not know what it is AutoPlay (AutoRun other term is), is a window that will come out when you connect a portable storage such as Flash Disk, Memory Card, Card Reader, External Hard drive to a computer or notebook. This also applies when you insert CDs or DVDs to CD Rom or DVD Rom drive.
AutoPlay feature in Windows it will facilitate you when you open the contents of the Flash Disk or CD you just have. If you want to disable these feature in Windows 7, follow the brief instructions below.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Locate and click Hardware and Sound and then click AutoPlay.
- If you want to disable, uncheck “Check Box” on the Use AutoPlay for All Devices and click Save.
- If you want to re-enable AutoPlay, please mark “Check Box” on Use AutoPlay for All Devices and click Save.
If you’d like further explore how this trick works, you can try the second way. At first this way, you also can choose which one by one device to activate the AutoPlay feature and which device you want disabled.
- Click the Start button.
- In the “Search Box”, type gpedit.msc and press the enter key.
- Find the Computer Configurations, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Policies and last AutoPlay Turn Off AutoPlay.
- To disable AutoPlay, check the Enable and click OK or Apply button.
- To switch back, click the Disable button and click the OK button.
True, both way above distinct steps, but essentially the two steps above have the same function, which deactivate and reactivate the Auto Run feature in Windows 7 operating system.
Category: Main Segmen